Air Rarotonga and COVID-19
The world wide travel restrictions have impacted Air Rarotonga’s schedule. Please read on to learn how Air Rarotonga is adjusting to this situation.
We have compiled below some information for you which you can access by clicking on each section and we will constantly update this site to keep you informed. We would like to use this opportunity to thank you for chosing the Cook Islands as a travel destination and Air Rarotonga to take you there. We look forward to extend our hospitality to you in the not too distant future. Meitaki Maata e Kia Manuia, the Cook Islands way to say "Thank you very much and may you live long and well!".
- Which services are scheduled?
- As the Cook Islands were declared a Covid-19 free, Air Rarotonga has resumed air services since April 20, 2020. With no tourist traffic and hardship experienced nationwide, the demand for passenger traffic is low. Air Rarotonga is currently operating a schedule of 3 weekly flights between Rarotonga and Aitutaki that is reflected in the available seats on
our web site. Service days are Monday, Wednesday and Friday with the Wednesday flight remaining on the ground in Aitutaki for the day.
We expect resumptions of a more regular schedule by September 1
Until August 31, domestic services to all other islands are scheduled or chartered based on demand.
This provisional schedule may be extended, extra flights added or flights cancelled. Please use our new flight search engine, our flight status page and flight schedule page to look for available flights.
This also affects the Aitutaki Day Tour and all other domestic Tours and packages which are presently forecast to resume service on September 1.
All International flights between Rarotonga and Papeete (Tahiti, French Polynesia) are also suspended until September 1, 2020 with the first service scheduled for September 5, subject to further review.
This information was last updated on May 18, 2020.
- What happens to my existing reservations?
If you are unable to travel to the Cook Islands to use your orignally booked or rescheduled flights and if you booked directly with Air Rarotonga through our web site www.airraro.com or through our call center you may proceed to cancel or rebook your flights. Your fare will be converted into a voucher for both redunfable (U,Y,B,V) and non-refundable (F,K,T,W) fares, this is due to system limitations.
Air Rarotonga will continue to refund the vouchers for Fully Flexible airfares. We do however ask you to consider holding on to the vouchers if you plan to travel at a later date. For each flexible return fare booked before March 20, 2020 for travel between March 20, 2020 and August 31, 2020 we will add 2 complimentary tickets for the Vaka Cruise to your credit voucher.
If you do wish to apply for a refund for flexible fares and because you may not be able to book the same level of Flexible fare later you need to fill out a simple online form at https://refunds.airraro.com to indicate you no longer wish to travel and/or to have your refund now. Flexible fares fares start with letter Y,B and V.
Otherwise we will hold your travel voucher in credit for a period of two years which will remain refundable.
All other fares will be eligible for a travel voucher (credit note) which will be valid for twelve months. All change penalties will be waived provided the booking was made before March 20 and for travel from March 01 to 31 August, 2020. As only our senior reservations staff is able to waive these penalties we ask you to please not attempt cancelling any fare other than fully flexible online.
We will review further time extensions or refunds at a later date once more information regarding Covid 19 pandemic effects has been assessed.
Please see appendix on how to determine adult fare types by amount and fare name.
We appreciate your continuing support and patience as we navigate our way through this very unique and challenging time.
For Reservations you made with a Travel Agent or online travel agents (Expedia, CheapOAir, Kiwi.com etc.) please contact the agent that issued your tickets as they are holding your funds until after you have flown and / or these companies often use their own credit cards to book their flights.
It is not necessary to contact us about the cancellation process but doing so using https://refunds.airraro.com with all necessary details will assist in the overall turnaround.
Flexible fares (Booking classes starting with letters Y,W and B) will be refunded in full to a voucher. These vouchers can be refunded as paid by filling out this form - if you do not know your voucher number yet you can just skip it - all we need is your reservation number and last name.
Because of the large number of cancellations and a limit of how many transactions can be refunded per day we are refunding these on request based on the date when you booked, with earlier bookings processed first.
You may also opt to hold your fare in credit for 365 days from day of cancellation redeemable for any future flight.
Seat + bag fares (booking classes starting with letters F,T,V,K): Affected reservations will be cancelled to a voucher with all penalties waived and the amount can be used for future travel for up to a year after cancellation date.
For flexible fares, we ask you to use this form to ask for a refund, no need to enter your voucher number if you have not already cancelled on line. We will cancel the fares for you and waive all penalties. Please do not cancel on line if your journey includes any seat+bag or seat only fare as this will automatically apply penalties which we otherwise waive. It will take longer to add additional credit to effectively waive the penalties.
We appreciate your patience and understanding at this extraordinary time.
- Your safety is important
- "We are working to support government guidance around social distancing by allocating seating to allow additional space around customers where possible. We recognise there will be a need to keep families and some travelling companions together and will continue to support this wherever possible. We also ask that customers follow crew instructions when on board our aircraft.
- How to contact us
- Our customer service staff are handling an unprecedented volume of enquiries and giving priority to customers booked to depart within the next 24 hours. If your flight departure date is beyond the next 24 hours we respectfully request that contact us at a later time. In essence we are cancelling all bookings within the affected period and will work through the issuance of travel vouchers and offering refunds where applicable and will post more information on this site when we have set up the necessary procedures. We appreciate your patience and understanding at this extraordinary time.
- What are we doing to support social distancing?
- Air Rarotonga lends its full support to government guidance around social distancing by minimising our on site staffing and spacing out our staff. We therefore ask you to rethink your need to personally visit our call center. We are setting up remote working capabilities in an effort to keep our call center and email presence to serve our customers.